30 September 2007

OH my, time to catch you all up with what's new!

Hello and forgive me for abandoning the blog for so many weeks! It's unforgivable. But I can explain!

The last post said nothing had happened with regard to tutoring. This is still a true statement. But in the meantime, I was hired by the Church School part of St. Mark's Methodist Church as a teacher's aide in the Early Education area. That lasted a week, until the woman whom I was hired to replace came back. Suddenly I became superfluous. But to give her credit, the E.E. Director quickly moved me into training to become a substitute teacher. Fortunately, I've become a pretty flexible person (comes with "age"...).

However, while the changes were coming at me fast and furious, yet another opportunity presented itself! One of the codirectors of last summer's Reading Camp had been singing my praises to her "boss" at a private school for students with learning disabilities in El Paso. And the director called me since they (Bridges Academy) had an urgent need for someone, part-time, to take over their ninth grade algebra class. To make a long story short, this is where I am now! It seemed a better course for me to go--> part-time permanent at Bridges versus part-time "on call" as a substitute. And I must say I am happy with my decision. I work with a tremendously dedicated staff. They are friendly too!
I am really happy to have a routine again.

Now, you must be asking, "what does that have to do with the photograph posted above???" I'll get to that! My friend Vanessa (who is the accompanist for our small singing group at Church) invited me to attend any of the plays produced by El Paso's Shakespeare On The Rocks. She and I (and our husbands) have discovered that we share many of the same interests, which is creating lots of opportunities to get together. She and I went to see "The Tempest" last weekend. It was held out of doors in a fairly small, rock amphitheater on the south side of El Paso. She brought a basket of sandwiches, iced tea, biscotti, and fruit, and cookies so we had quite a nice picnic before and during the play.

"The Tempest" was done with little or no sets but magnificent costumes. The cast was a small group of very talented young people who are frequently seen around town in other dramatic productions. I am proud to tuck yet another Shakespeare play under my belt; it helps reduce the deficit that exists in my quest for nominal literacy. And I'm delighted to have a new buddy who will invite me and accept my invitations to do fun things!

So here it is another Sunday afternoon. The last day of September. Chores to do. Laundry, bill-paying, letter-writing, grocery-shopping, lesson plan writing, football game watching. We are looking foward to a happy October. In fact, this coming week will be a short one for me, work-wise, since we'll have Friday and the following Monday "off" for Fall Break. I might take myself to a movie matinee or something else indulgent.

No comments: