04 February 2008

Patsy's into Pot




Wow, three new photos for you. Yep, that's me at the Potter's Wheel. This has been a dream I have had for years.. literally.. since the ninth grade when I had only one chance to try out throwing clay and centering on a wheel and I failed. Oh misery. Now I have succeeded. My skills are oh so modest, but even my instructor acknowledges that I can do it. I am eager to improve. I am eager to learn how to apply glaze and see what my pots look like with color too. But that's in the weeks to come. Knock wood that my pieces don't explode in the kiln when they are fired. Yes, the slimy mucky clay is totally fun. I love getting my hands all wet and dirty. There are six others in our Sunday afternoon class and we are all enjoying the experience.
IN other news: weather report: today we had a nasty dust storm, it's blowing like a sonofagun and the sand/dust is everywhere. One must scrape a layer off one's face. It's bad. And you really can't see much on the road-- visibility is really poor. Indoors, it sounds like a mournful dog howling. And Rick says when the front passes through, the temperatures will plummet and we may see some freezing rain. Oh swell.
Algebra and the ninth graders are doing better. We'll be venturing into the unknown realm of Polynomials in the next few weeks. One of my students crashed his ATV (in a competition of some sort) and dislocated his collarbone. His right arm is bandaged to his side. His homework will be done at recess/lunch as he dictates what he wants me to write (and then score). I don't mind. It more-or-less guarantees that he'll get his HW done. He's been one of my slackers.
Dan news: he just bought a Nikon S100 35mm film camera. Apparently he will be able to interchange all the lenses he has for his digital camera and use them on both. He's a happy guy now. Best wishes to all family stuck in the colder climes. Three cheers for the NY Giants!

2 comments:

J said...

Hey, just a curiosity. Are you sure that wasn't an F100 35mm, opposed to an S100? Just wondering.

J said...

Hey, just a curiosity. Are you sure that wasn't an F100 35mm, opposed to an S100? Just wondering.