07 September 2008

September

Hi all, No photos this time around. In fact the pictures I took of my classroom are already obsolete! I was happily ensconced in the Math Room when we discovered that nine large fourteen-year-old eighth graders really take up a whole lot more space than we expected. Big kids require more space; proximity promulgates problems. So, I'm banished across the hall.

Well, due to space constraints, I was already teaching three of my four classes "across the hall" in the computer lab. Now, the computer lab will be my permanent classroom to be shared as required when other teachers (language, grammar, social studies, science) need access to the computers. I moved all of my stuff out of my desk, moved my desk into the hall to be returned to the basement, moved an extra table into the middle of the computer lab and set up shop, as it were. It should be fine. I won't have to wheel the three-level rolling basket (the Learning Mobile) back and forth nor run in and out when I am missing some key tool (pencils, manipulatives, teacher edition book or what all). Plus, I can decorate! I can put up festive and amusing mathematical posters and learning tools. More on this after another week or so.

Meantime, Rick is back from his trip to Spencer. Things at the farm are okay except that as he was turning off the water, he double-checked the sump pump in the basement and it was spurting like (as he described it) an aneurysm. There was no time to repair this, else miss his flight out of Indianapolis. So, he called our neighbor there and asked if she'd arrange to have a new sump pump installed. Life is an adventure; always expect the unexpected.

Other news: I am a member of the Bridges Bulldogs Fantasy football league. "My" quarter back is Derek Anderson. He plays for the Cleveland Browns. Cleveland went up against the Dallas Cowboys this afternoon and got their proverbial butt kicked. At least Tony Romo did well; he's a Cowboy and all Math faculty swear fealty to the Cowboys as a caveat to their teaching contract. Lol.

Time to scrounge up some supper. Until next time. Be well and stay dry. Keep your eye on Ike.

No comments: